10.04.2005

you, too, harvey.

yesterday after work, i swung by the grocery store to pick up flowers for my sister-in-law. i stood behind one woman in aisle two with my three bunches, willing the cashier to be quick so i could go. she seemed to be having issues with ringing up the produce, which made my brow furrow in questioning just a little. i started to look at the magazines and not intrigued by any in my immediate vision, i walked out of the aisle to check out the end ones. just as i did, a nameless guy buying salt (ngbs) joined the line. he offered to save my spot so i could look, but i decided it wasn't that important. i stood there a while longer. idle chit chat with ngbs took place. the cashier continued to have problems with the produce (i'm not sure, but i think there is a new way to ring it up using a scanner). she called someone else over. they checked some wires. they scrutinized things. they tried the produce again. they reset things. at length, i said to ngbs, 'this really was not the best line to choose.' he agreed, so we both made our way to the next available aisle. i paid no attention to which one it was. i was in a hurry. i had a hospital to get to. the magazines were different in this line, so i perused those for a bit. then i looked up. it was harvey. harvey was my new cashier. my heart started to race. my palms started to sweat. i got nervous. oh, no. what if he asks me why i'm buying flowers? what if he thinks i should pay with cash instead. what if he insults my cherries??? it didn't matter that i wasn't buying cherries. i was scared. i was scared of this old man and the words that come out of his mouth. i put my flowers down and gave him my checkcard. he was nice. he was cordial. not rude at all. perhaps harvey is not so bad. as i left, he said, 'have a good night, julie.'

posted by julie @ 3:02 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: amidst the water & the trees, minnesota

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary