9.26.2005

kin.

i'm very disappointed that i didn't make it to the bloggers meeting yesterday, but i had a good excuse... my cousin jenny and her husband were in from rapid city and i wanted to catch up with them before they took off again. it was worth it, but i am bummed.

one of my younger brothers got married on saturday (i promise to post pictures later). i loved the chance to be with (almost) all my cousins at once. i love my cousins. i love my family in general. i love that i can be friends with them. knowing that they have my back and i have theirs. i love that we invest in each others' lives. i love that my cousins' children know who i am and look forward to seeing me. i love that i get to have relationships with those i am related to.

and i love that we laugh together.

not one of us is perfect, but we're real. a few years ago, i was informed that what we have is not normal. or rather, not common. i wouldn't trade it for the life i always thought i needed.

after the reception, i was driving a blazer-full of people that i love, and i'm pretty sure that brandon, my cousin vicki's husband, summed it up as well as it could be summed up. he rather loudly declared, 'i married into the coolest family ever!'

and you know, he's right.

posted by julie @ 3:37 PM

3 Comments:

At 9/26/2005 6:41 PM, Blogger Grandma and Grandpa Benson said...

Julie . . . relationships with those you are related to . . . and your cousins' children know who you are and look forward to seeing you . . . you are just the best kind of relative to have . . . I love your heart and back for your family . . .

 
At 9/27/2005 2:00 PM, Blogger gloria said...

Want to see my ugliness?
When you write I wonder, "when will she see the ick? sure, it's good now but just wait."
I have a hard time believing family can ever be good, or loving.
It's terrible. but it's true.
I want to love you well by rejoicing with you and thanking God that loving families exist.
And it's what I want deeply for me and my husband, for our kids. What am I striving toward and sacrificing for if it doesn't exist?
Hearing of your sweet love and beautiful community cuts me deeply. But I thank you, I think I needed the cut - now the icky stuff can get out.

 
At 9/27/2005 4:03 PM, Blogger julie said...

gloria... let no mask exist... we have our fair share of issues. as would any group of people that are a mix of christians and non, with differing political opinions and beliefs. but what my generation seems to get that the one before us doesn't always, is that right or wrong, night or day, it's family, and that's worth clinging to. we see uncles dislike their brothers and "streaks of george" run through his sons and grandchildren and we look for something better.

i'm praying that you get there. that you can love in spite of the ick and that you are loved deeply by your family. you are certainly appreciated here in our little blogworld.

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: amidst the water & the trees, minnesota

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary