8.19.2005

victory is mine!

it's mine, all mine! i had no lunch to speak of today and no one to eat with, so i went to target and then on to the store which conspires against those with schedules. i have to admit that i intended to use the express lane so that i would have something to write about. well, something not quite so heavy, at least. i picked out my salad from the deli and proceeded to the registers. the line for the express lane was twice as long as any other lane, so i quickly made my way to lane 11. (yay for victory number one... avoiding the lane all together) there were two people ahead of me, each with a fair load. i glanced at the opposing lane and noticed that harvey was overseeing this supposed faster lane. ha. i scoffed at the fools standing in the line. little do you know. your cherries will be cursed. your form of payment will be degraded. somewhere deep inside my soul, i felt sorry for the naive creatures. but alas, it was my turn so i had to pay attention. i had picked up a magazine that tells me how i can have quieter rooms (turn the radio off???) and a pack of gum for the car. three items. there were three people still waiting in the competition that were there when i sailed past the line. i'm paying with cash. it's faster. no machines to wait for. my total... $9.21. easy change. there's a bagger. what?!?! there's never been a bagger. this is good. i get my change and successfully complete the bag hand-off. i'm out the door. my smile is wide. i have beat the express lane. victory is sweet.

posted by julie @ 2:02 PM

5 Comments:

At 8/19/2005 4:05 PM, Blogger Erin Bennett said...

Yay! :)

 
At 8/22/2005 10:24 AM, Blogger gloria said...

you slay me!!! ah, hilarious!
You and my husband are long, lost siblings I think. He's not much for blogland but I will direct him to you sight- he'll love this one.

 
At 8/22/2005 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! I have battled Harvey myself and been totally frustrated. I overheard him one day telling a former co-worker from a different job that he likes being retired!?! I think he should have stuck with retirement!

 
At 8/24/2005 9:03 AM, Blogger cindy said...

A bit like snagging the best parking spot or getting all the green lights.

I warn the people in line behind me that they should pick another lane even if this one's shorter. Invariably I'll need a price check, the cash register will run out of tape, or lightening will strike the building and knock out only my register.

 
At 8/24/2005 10:06 AM, Blogger Erin Bennett said...

Julie, let me know if you'd like some help getting rid of this spam junk. ;)

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: amidst the water & the trees, minnesota

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary