10.16.2006

chili.

i want you all to know that last week, i ate chili. twice.

those who have known me forever know that this is unheard of. i hated chili. this was the one meal my mother let me out of without asking questions. there was automatically something else for me on my plate those winter nights my family devoured an entire batch of the bean-ridden concoction. i did not like beans in soup.

but last week, i went to the dunn bros in buffalo to do some online stuff and went for the chicken muffin man soup that was available. what the heck is chicken muffin man soup, i asked. oh, it's just chicken and beans. it's a little spicy. oh. well, that sounds great, i'll take it. (it should be mentioned that it sounded great because now, i do like beans in soup, but not chili.)

i have to admit when she handed me the bowl, i was pretty skeptical, but i could hardly hand it back and demand something different because she failed to mention that it was chili.

and i was hungry. so i ate it. and i liked it.

so then, when my friend kristi and i went to potbelly on wednesday to catch up, at the last minute, i switched my soup order from black bean to chili.

brave. really brave.

i ate it. i liked it.

change is good.

posted by julie @ 4:05 PM

2 Comments:

At 10/16/2006 10:39 PM, Blogger Kevin Lundgren said...

One time while working at Wendy's, I overturned the whole chili vat all over the counter and beyond. It was long and rectangular and recessed into the counter, so when I lifted it out by one end all the chili slid to the other end and capsized the whole thing. The manager shooed me away and told me to go do something else. He did that when I was mopping once too. Then employee-of-the-month-girl snapped at me for overfilling a frosty. She didn't like the way I scraped the excess off the top with a lid and then slapped another lid on it. She said I couldn't do that. I asked her if I should have thrown it away. She said I couldn't do that either. To make a long story short, she and I are now happily married with three kids named Dave, Thomas, and Wendy.

 
At 10/19/2006 10:36 AM, Blogger Patrick said...

I've started eating lots of things I hated in childhood. Your tastebuds change as you mature, so things aren't as strong as they used to seem. And that's a very good thing. I'd look a little silly at 31 living off mac-n-cheese and Tang!

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: amidst the water & the trees, minnesota

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary