10.06.2006

spoiled.

there are things in life that we can choose to do or not and things that we simply don't have a choice about. and those things we can choose to do or not, are either things that are just that or things that though we have a choice, we really ought to do. like showering.

now, i recognize that i have a choice about showering. i can take them. or i can not take them. but i also recognize that my decision bears weight. has consequence. for instance, the other night i showered after running. (which, by the way, is another blog, i think.) the next day, at lunch, joel says to me, you smell fresh, julie. and though a bit on the odd side, it's still a nice thing to hear.

on the other hand, a decision to not shower very well may be a decision to have less friends. or to create the need for a new job (i'm not sure if it applies here, but i've had jobs before that state regular showering as a requirement for employment... ). there really has never been a major point of decision for me. it's just something that i do. i have, however, made a decision that i only have to shower every other day, unless i get dirty on the off day. i just plan accordingly.

but i hate showering. though i love the benefits, i hate the action. often, in the moment of realizing it's a shower night, i get mad. last night, after having had a wonderful evening sitting on my porch, editing pictures and watching grey's anatomy, i was sleepy and ready for bed. upon entering the bathroom, i realized that it was a shower night. i stomped my foot. i made an arghh noise. i felt a little anger.

i don't like to take them. i get wet. and when you're wet, my house feels a lot colder. and my head gets really cold, which makes it harder to fall asleep. but showering in the morning is simply not an option. my water doesn't actually have any warmth to it until about nine. and at nine, i've already been away from home for two hours. which makes it hard to shower at nine.

it's just the realization that at no point will i get to stop showering. i will have to shower until i die. it's not like a job, which you can leave and get another one. it's not like where you live. chances are i will move. more than once. but no matter what house i live in, i will shower. and i will brush my teeth at least twice a day. and i will have to eat. and sleep. and pay the bills.


huh. my life sure is tough.

posted by julie @ 3:51 PM

3 Comments:

At 10/13/2006 5:30 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

LOL...thanks for that.

 
At 10/15/2006 12:03 AM, Blogger kimberly said...

Julie, I am so glad we are friends.
I HATE showers. I hate them hate them hate them. I hate getting wet, I hate that your have to deal with your hair, and did I say that I hate getting wet. Such a stinking waste of time. I sure miss being on the island.
I have almost written this very blog post several times. Too bad it's not socially acceptable to not shower. thumbs DOWN!

 
At 10/16/2006 12:50 AM, Blogger Kevin Lundgren said...

Thank you all for showering. There were students at my college that didn't shower. They didn't shower mainly because they were art students and art students think up these crazy things to do to be "original". Originality is worshipped at art schools. Not showering is not original however. It's just smelly. I got mad one day 'cause I had to work in the computer lab where there was someone who didn't shower. Someone. I couldn't quite zero in on the offender, but they were there somewhere in the room. I finally left 'cause the air was so "thick" in there. You know how "thick" air feels when you inhale it? It was just the odor. The smell actually changed the texture of the air. Example B: I was riding a bus in Los Angeles and the driver stopped and ordered two people off his bus due to their "thick" odor. People were literally crying out, gasping, and reaching for windows, then finally moving to the back of the bus to escape the stench. LIke I say, the driver finally pulled over and apologized to them, but insisted they take a shower before riding his bus.

You all are doing the right thing. Be encouraged.

Kevin

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: amidst the water & the trees, minnesota

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary