4.07.2006

my mom's homerun.

i'm not good with gifts. it's really hard to buy them for me. i have a theory about it that revolves around gifts being the least of my love languages. i can really do without them, but if i'm going to get them, they should be perfect. because, again, i can do without them. now to those of you who see gifts as very important, this may not make much sense. but think of it this way... if your love language is touch and not words of affirmation, you likely don't save handwritten notes. or if your love language is time and not touch, you probably get a little irritated with really huggy people, right? and i, i'd rather get no gift at all than one i won't use.

this is why, when i make a list for christmas every year like i'm asked, and receive nothing off that list, i get frustrated. i make the list so that those who asked for it will know exactly what i want. i appreciate that they want to get me something, but i don't need anything. i'd so much rather have their time.

my mom went to indonesia for a couple of weeks on a mission trip and brought back gifts for all. she pulled me into her bedroom and told me she wanted me to pick first, in case i didn't like what she had gotten me (she knows me well). she picked up a beautifully stitched handbag in this incredible green that had just a touch of sheen to it. she said to me, now this is what i picked out for you, but feel free to pick anything. i said, no, i'll just take the bag, i love it! to which she replied, well, i have this bracelet or this other bag or this or this... i said, i like the bag.

my mother nailed this one. but it's like she doesn't quite believe it. because she asked me again before i left if i was sure that was what i wanted. and then she called me the other day and told me she had found some other things that i could have instead if i wanted to trade. i so don't. i absolutely love this bag. and i just wanted to share it with you.

posted by julie @ 2:15 PM

1 Comments:

At 4/07/2006 10:47 PM, Blogger kimberly said...

I wouldn't want to share that bag with anyone! It rocks! Too bad Indonesia is kind of far away. :)

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: amidst the water & the trees, minnesota

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary