11.18.2005

loosing the loop.

i started crocheting about six years ago. everything i made was crooked. so all i did was make scarves because those don't really matter if they're a little off. people have actually requested my crooked scarves. it feels good that my lack of talent is sought after. i don't count my stitches and i have always believed this is why it all has had so much character. i don't think that's the case anymore. see, i've been working on another scarf, as my other one is starting to wear and stretch, and this one isn't crooked. i started skipping a loop in my turnarounds somewhere near the beginning (i'm not really sure why, but i did) and after a while, i realized that it was not becoming a crooked scarf. no. it was straight, straight indeed. for six years, i have added an unnecessary loop, thus making crooked scarves. i learned from my grandma and everything she sets out to be straight are straight, so at some point, i either misunderstood her or made that extra loop up. i'm very excited about this new scarf, being straight and all, but there is a sadness to the passing of the crooked scarf. now, i'm just like every other crocheter. maybe it's not so bad, but surely no one will request a straight scarf. (this could prove to be beneficial, though, since i'm not very fast.)

posted by julie @ 8:13 AM

4 Comments:

At 11/18/2005 9:51 AM, Blogger Grandma and Grandpa Benson said...

Julie . . . I love this story! Most of my memories with my grandmother are of her . . . teaching me to sew, knit, crochet. Everything she made with her hands was beautiful . . . perfect in my eyes. So, I would try verrry hard to please her . . . wanting my handwork to turn out as beautiful as hers. When she taught me to crochet . . . I tried so hard that my efforts to make an afghan for my mother cost over a hundred dollars in yarn (in the 1960's!). . .*grin* so tight were my loops. I like the thought of your crooked scarves much better. I learned so much from my Grandmother . . . sitting with her . . . all without words . . . I miss her!

 
At 11/18/2005 10:31 AM, Blogger Erin Bennett said...

I'd like to put in a request for a straight scarf. :)

 
At 11/21/2005 12:09 PM, Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your crooked scarves.
My wife is a quilter (and a more detail oriented lot you'll be hard pressed to find). Every quilt is supposed to have an imperfection. I think the origins of this have something to do with God and excessive pride...I'm not sure.
The telling thing about quilters though is that the have to put the imperfection in on purpose, because they can't just let them happen.
Perfection is inhuman. All beauty is (thankfuly) flawed.

 
At 12/06/2005 4:29 PM, Blogger gloria said...

You are indeed one of my favorite bloggers. I love your story telling.

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: amidst the water & the trees, minnesota

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary