6.30.2006

scrambling for pittance.

esther came by my desk at about 11 this morning and we eventually got around to talking about gas. fuel, that is. it was mentioned in the conversation about the extreme low level of fuel that was currently residing in my beloved sophie and esther's vehicle, the certain possibility of gas rising above $3 this weekend and past instances of us kicking ourselves for not taking advantage of lower prices and the common practice of gas prices rising after noon. this prompted a spontaneous excursion to the nearby holiday station where esther had seen it for $2.85. as we traveled along dunkirk, the convoy song ran through my head. oddly, i had just heard it this morning on my way to work. you know, we've got a great big convoy, or something like that... we weren't really big, but we're sure great.

anyway, i was going to tell you just how much i saved by scrambling this morning, so i called the gas station to find out what unleaded fuel cost this afternoon. do you know what she said? of course you don't. but i'll tell you. because i think it's funny. she said, i can't tell you that over the phone. how odd. why do you suppose that is? i took it to mean she could tell me if were to go into the store, but why would i need to? i would have seen the price on my way in. maybe if i were blind that would be helpful. after some questioning, i found out she could tell me if it had gone up at all throughout the day. so now i can tell you how much i saved by running out during my morning break instead of waiting until after work. nothing. absolutely zilch.

life is good.

posted by julie @ 3:46 PM

2 Comments:

At 6/30/2006 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dad's theory was that gas prices always rise on Tuesday . sounds odd and of course when I noticed it was true.

Liz
a blog comment from my PDA which won't float.

 
At 7/02/2006 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! I had the same thing happen to me at Costco. They wouldn't tell me the price over the phone. When I asked why not, she said that it's common practice due to competition. I thought that was awfully funny, too. I assumed all the prices were fixed - there's never much variance from station to station.

But, when I started reading your post I thought you were going to say that you found out the prices had gone down in the afternoon. I guess that would only have happened to ME!

Peace,
Cindy.

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: amidst the water & the trees, minnesota

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary