6.12.2006

st. louis.

i'm sorry! i'm sorry, i'm sorry!

life got busy. but that's no excuse. funny things happen in the busy days and i should let you know these things. as it were, i was out of town last week. i was in st. louis at a database conference. thrill-a-minute, i tell you, thrill-a-minute. no, it was good. super long days and a buttload of information, but it was good. i went with my supervisor lori, who turned out to be a great traveling partner, and after four days, we mastered the transit system.

tuesday, we left super early (a bit too early for cohesive thinking, but late enough that i managed to get three hours of sleep in before i had to get up again...) so that we would have all of tuesday to do stuff. what happened, was that instead of cramming a ton of stuff in, we just took our time and did half the stuff we had planned. we spent quite a bit of time at the zoo, which, if you haven't been there, is a fantastic zoo. you can check out some pictures on the
goya page.

and on wednesday, we went to see ben bedford in this incredibly dark (read: super hard to take pictures) bar. for some reason, i thought that this place, the shanti, served food, but it didn't. after leaving late and then walking two and half miles, we were starving. so we walked down a few blocks and came upon fat toney's. we got to meet fat toney while we were there. this is what i know: toney is a large man and his food is good. when we got back, we were a part of the smallest audience i have ever been a part of. aside from ben's dad, we were the only two people there that were there to hear him. there were others there... but they were watching the cardinals game or talking at the bar. it was weird. he said he's gotten used to it, but i cannot imagine not being offended. it is safe to say that both lori and i absolutely enjoyed ourselves.

i'd like to show you more pictures, but i can't seem to post anymore. so you'll just have to imagine, because i've been trying since monday and i'm thinking it's just not going to work.

on thursday, we rode the arch. this is what i have to say about that... once is enough. i was fine, nothing super spectacular. in fact, it was more impressive looking at it than from it. i'm not sure what we were expecting, but we felt a little let down when we got up to the top.

and there was a telephone by our toilet. i think this is weird. of course, i come from the opinion that you really don't need to spend any extra time in bathrooms than what is necessary. get in, get out. it's a bathroom, for pete's sake. we thought the funniest part of it all was a hold button. imagine with me why you would need to put someone on hold in the bathroom. funny, right? lori and i decided that we couldn't let a toilet phone go to waste, so i called my cousin, jenny, and left her a message. i wasn't using the bathroom, due to my philosophy surrounding such rooms, but i was sitting on top of the toilet. i'd show you a picture if i could. but i can't.


all in all, it was a good week. we laughed a lot, we got little sleep and we had an immense amount of knowledge injected into our heads.

posted by julie @ 2:17 PM

1 Comments:

At 6/15/2006 3:05 PM, Blogger kimberly said...

I have a LOT of quirks as well.
I also have very bad teeth. In fact, I use two different kinds of prescription-strength toothpaste every night. I really do.
I have two thoughts to offer.
1. They never made toothbrushes small enough to clean my back teeth because my mouth is so small, so those teeth just got cavities every time until I got annoyed and had them removed. I think it's more the "they don't make as many medium" brushes than the compacts. According to my friend the dental hygenist nobody should use medium ones.
2. I finally had success last time I went to the dentist because I got this new brush (I think it's called a pulsar?) that has a battery but says it works better than electric ones. I have found that it does indeed, and my dentist had "never seen such an improvement in dental hygiene." Interesting. BUT, it doesn't fit in my holder!! I have a severe problem with this. Luckily, mine is pretty nice and has a spot for the toothpaste too, so the toothbrush lives there with the toothpaste.
How's that for the longest comment EVER?

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: amidst the water & the trees, minnesota

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary