7.12.2006

day #1.

jen's training schedule required 20 minutes of motion last night. 5 minutes of walking, 5 minutes of running and repeat. the first walk was fine. after two minutes of running, my body started asking questions. what are we doing? we don't do this. why are my muscles moving this way? don't we hate this? having no good answers that wouldn't lead to stopping, i had to leave them hang in the air, unanswered.

five minutes of running doesn't sound that bad. i can bike for hours. i can swim for hours. i can weed my garden for hours. but at three and a half minutes into my first run, i looked down at my watch in shock that it had only been three and a half minutes. four minutes rolled around and i started staring at the seconds tick by, urging it to move faster. thirty seconds left. come on. finally, five minutes were up and i celebrated my own personal victory. i started walking back, hoping to walk fast enough not to have to run up the hill i had come down on the way. no such luck. it was, in fact, almost the first piece of pavement i had to run on. i got halfway up the hill and decided that it wouldn't be the end of the world to walk up the rest of the way. so i did. it took me a little bit to start running again, but i did. and then i stopped right as i got onto my street.

mostly, i didn't want my neighbors looking out their windows and muttering to their companion, 'what's wrong with her? is she okay? she sure looks funny.'

posted by julie @ 4:08 PM

2 Comments:

At 7/12/2006 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written.
Most of us can relate.

 
At 7/13/2006 12:16 AM, Blogger Grandma and Grandpa Benson said...

Day one! I love DAY ONE . . . it is the beginning . . . and I love beginnings . . .

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: amidst the water & the trees, minnesota

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary