7.13.2006

day #2

okay, i promise that not every post for the next six weeks will be about running. but today's is. mostly because it is vastly different than yesterday's post and about a key turning point for me.

on my way home from work, i stopped at the outlet mall to remedy a few issues i experienced on tuesday night. i stopped first and spent a hearty chunk of money on some shoes. then, at the next store, i found a tank top that promised to wick away moisture and keep me cool. and finally, i stopped and bought some running shorts. after the unfortunate incident with the non-breathing umbros, i felt this was a necessity.

then, i got home, ate some dinner and tried to work on some other things but found myself too antsy to concentrate. i put all my new running gear on and did some stretching while i watched a bit of tv. after what seemed like forever, 8:00 came and i headed out. jen's training schedule had lori and i add another set of 5 mins walking/5 mins running to our previous 2.

i kept expecting to feel like i did yesterday when i ran, especially since no matter where i go, i have to run up hills, but it never came. i paced myself a bit slower, and i think that helped, but actually, i think i owe most of my comfort to the shoes and the shorts. it sounds sort of stupid, but i thought i was going to keel over on tuesday night and i finished last night feeling like i could have kept going.

i have to say, this made me feel really good. tuesday, i was thinking, i cannot possibly run 6 miles and yesterday, it really felt like i could do it. which makes me more excited to keep going.

besides, i just plunked down almost a month's worth of groceries on running gear... that alone makes me want to keep going.

posted by julie @ 4:12 PM

4 Comments:

At 7/13/2006 7:35 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

I'm a firm believer in choosing the right shoe. I'm building myself back up to running 5 miles daily. I've never done a real race before, so I'm interested see how your experience with it will turn out.

 
At 7/13/2006 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm inspired. I've got to buy some new shoes to replace the 3 pair that Pumpkin ate...maybe I'll splurge and get a really good pair of walking shoes - and a steel box to store them in.

Good for you!!

 
At 7/14/2006 12:38 PM, Blogger Jaime G said...

Running sounds like biking... the right equipment makes SUCH a difference!! I am excited for your journey into running!

 
At 7/17/2006 2:08 PM, Blogger gloria said...

It's so lovely to catch up with you. I scrolled all the way to the bottom and read my way up. I've been away too long. I think that I just have to reconcile that on the day I blog I just won't get anything else done. Maybe that's ok.

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: amidst the water & the trees, minnesota

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary