11.22.2005

why i love my mother.

i realized last night about nine that i had caught another mouse. my plan had been to realize something like this early enough that i could convince my grandpa to come over and deal with it. he finds his pillow around 7, unfortunately, so i had to come up with plan b. i knew my dad wouldn't come over again and do it, since he told me quite sternly that he wouldn't, and my younger brothers don't think outside their own comfort very often, so i figured that was out. i can do this. sure. i did it in college once.

*i grabbed my broom and some masking tape and attached the dust pan to the end of the broom with perhaps more tape than was necessary.
*i put shoes on. one cannot do these things with bare feet.
*i unlocked the back door and moved shoes aside, for quick and easy access to the garbage.
*i turned the light on in the front room.
*i set and opened a bag next to the scene for disposal.
*i dialed rachel's number. this was going to require moral support. no answer.
*i dialed my parents' number. i prayed for my mom to answer. success!

'hey, mom, what's up?' 'i'm just watching a little tv. why?' 'i have to get rid of a dead mouse because i'm pretty sure no one else will come and do it for me. i need some moral support.' 'what about bob? (the coolest thing is that my family really gets to say that on occasion...) you could try him.' 'he's not home? where is he?' 'i don't know, he's just not home yet.' 'thanks, i'll call him.'

i dial bobby's cell phone. no answer.

i dial nicky's cell phone. after much deliberation with her and bobby, nicky agrees to come in the morning and help me out. she requests only two things. the back door to be unlocked and a mouse map. tell her where the mouse is. i offer up the year old bacardi in my freezer as well. if i haven't dipped a finger in by now, i'm not likely to and i sure could use the freezer space. as i write, there is no dead mouse in my house. i'm hoping there are no breathing mice in my house, either, but i seem to be on a roll.

my mother always knows just what i really want. gotta love that.

posted by julie @ 10:30 AM

2 Comments:

At 11/28/2005 3:44 PM, Blogger julie said...

well, nicky woke up late, so my grandpa came over instead. he let me know that as long as he's not in bed, he'll come over and take care of them. nice to know.

this also means that i still have a bottle of bacardi in my freezer...

my grandparents also gave me this thing you plug in, so between the traps and the thing, i've been good. haven't seen a thing.

 
At 12/06/2005 4:33 PM, Blogger gloria said...

Gunnar got me take out the christmas things and when I opened the big box I noticed that there were rips in the plastic bag that housed the decorative (but real) gingerbread people. I didn't look closer, but Pete did. Yes indeed we too have little furry friends somewhere in our crawl space - and who knows where else. I am so creeped out.

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: amidst the water & the trees, minnesota

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary